All Collections
Getting started with Qonto
Documents accepted
Which documents does Qonto require for the registration as freelancers (Freiberufler)?
Which documents does Qonto require for the registration as freelancers (Freiberufler)?
Cecilia avatar
Written by Cecilia
Updated over a week ago

Qonto offers business accounts for corporations, who are registered in the German trade register (Handelsregister) as well as for freelancers (Freiberufler), who have declared their activity to the tax office (Finanzamt).

Freiberufler are entrepreneurs with particular professional activities or particular academic backgrounds (e.g. lawyers) and who render their services independently.

📃 Which documents does Qonto require?

  1. A valid proof of identity

    You can read which documents are accepted as proof of identity and which features to look out for: What proof of identity does Qonto accept when you register?

  2. The Letter from the tax office (Brief vom Finanzamt)

    You should have received an official letter after registering your activity with the tax office (Finanzamt). It must explicitly mention your tax number and activity. Find a sample document below:

    During the registration process, upload the letter from the tax office.

    If you don’t have the Letter from the tax office (Brief vom Finanzamt) and the tax number (Steuernummer) yet, you can upload it within 30 days after signing the Qonto contract in your account settings.

    Without a letter from the tax office, after the 30-day period, since this information is legally required, if we don’t have it, we’ll unfortunately have to close your account.

    Note that the closing process takes 30 days. During this closing period, you won’t be able to take any actions, you’ll only have view access. The registration Information is legally required.

    If you no longer have the letter from the tax office, contact your tax office to request a replacement document.

  3. An official proof of address (optional)

    If the address in the letter from the tax office is no longer current, also upload a current proof of address (no older than three months). For example, we accept an electricity bill or your tax assessment notice as such. If not available, take another document from an official source that proves your new address. combine the letter from the tax office and the proof of address into one document and upload it during registration.

⚠️ Important: Ensure that all documents are uploaded in sufficient quality (resolution, legibility, completeness). We recommend that you take photos with a smartphone camera, bearing the following in mind:



Good quality


Clearly visible information

cut corners

Not cut at the edges


Did this answer your question?